Lifestyle | Spanish Inspired Christmas Dinner #ExpediaWorldonaPlate - Lilla Loves

Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Lifestyle | Spanish Inspired Christmas Dinner #ExpediaWorldonaPlate


I love a traditional Christmas meal, but it's interesting to see how this can change around the world. With my grandad living in Spain for many years when I was younger, I've spent a few Christmases on the Costa Del Sol.

My grandad's villa was the setting for many a special Christmas'. The weather's mild in that part of Spain this time of year and we would often sit on the terrace, which he had decorated with fairy lights. If my grandad knew we were coming he would erect a 12ft Christmas tree, decorated with the most beautiful baubles that he had collected throughout his career and life. I can't help but get teary thinking about the times we had, the loss of my grandad is something that still effects me, despite it being nearly 10 years. This time of year is worse, because you are surrounded by family, but his absence is somehow intensified by the new faces that he will never meet, my husband, my sister's long term boyfriend and one day our children.

Despite this, there are two things about Christmas that remind me of him, the first, decorating the tree. Joe and I had our own Christmas tree when we got our flat, my mum presented me with a navy blue velvet box with a lovely gold tassel on it. When I opened it, inside was this large, beautiful hand painted Christmas bauble. It's purple, with a delicate Angel blowing a horn on it with gold ribbons floating behind her. I'm not sure when my grandad bought this for me, had he bought one with the birth of each grandchild, or if this was something he'd got us in his later years, but receiving a gift from him that Christmas has stuck with me.

The thing my grandad loved the most about Christmas and life was food. He loved cooking, just as much as he loved eating and he loved sharing his food with guests (and his precious Moona). So I guess he was inspirations for my #ExpediaWorldonaPlate recipe.

Spanish Roast Chicken with Chorizo, potatoes and Chickpeas

Ingredients (serves 4)
2 Lemons (1 zest end and halved, the other cut in wedges)
1.5kg whole Chicken
1tbsp sweet paprika and a bit extra
Olive oil
850g potatoes, cut into chunks
220g chorizo chopped into chunks
1 bulb of garlic, cloves peeled
100ml of white wine
200ml hot chicken stock
2 pinches of saffron ( can replace with Tumeric)
2 cans of chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
Parsley
300g Greek Yoghurt
Crusty bread to serve (optional)

Instructions

1. Pre heat ove to 200c/180c fan/gas 6. 
2. Pop the zested and halved lemon into the chickens cavity. Next mix the the tbsp of Paprika with a tbsp of olive oil and salt and pepper, use this to coat the Chicken and place in a rotating tin.
3. Toss the potatoes and chorizo in olive oil and add to the tin.
4. Cover the roasting tin in kitchen foil, making a tent like structure and roast for 30mins.
5. Remove the foil, baste the chicken, then add the lemon wedges and garlic to the potatoes and chorizo.
6. Roast uncovered for a further 30 minutes
7. Mix together the hot stock, wine and saffron (or powdered Tumeric)
8. Pour the stock mixture and chickpeas in to the tin, stirring in the potatoes and chorizo, then put back in the oven for a further 30 minutes.
9. Check the Chicke is cooked through, then stir in the Parsley.
10. Combine the yoghurt, lemon zest and some pinches of Paprika  to serve.
11. The Crusty bread is great for mopping up the extra liquid.

Enjoy!

What would you cook as an alternative to Christmas lunch?



Like what you see? You can follow me here:
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Lilla Loves. All rights reserved.
Designer Blogger Template by pipdig